The textile platform is an innovation laboratory, open to textile industrials wishing to develop products that are offering an answer to demanding (product) criteria and to create commercial opportunities in technical textile niche markets (energy, aviation, medical devices).
In a globalized economy, Belgian and European textile producers have largely turned away from the two traditional sectors (being clothing and upholstery) and are focusing to very specific products for technical applications, requiring adapted processes, materials and knowledge.
The Centexbel knitting machines are mainly used to for the production of very particular items, including smart/electronic textiles and knitted supports for composites or for medical and other high-tech purposes in the framework of R&D projects.
- multilayer braiding: 4 interlocked layers, each made by means of 65 bobbins (256 in total)
- 3D braiding allowing complex shapes
- dimensions: 3640 x 3496 x 3640 mm
Suited for all technical fibres (carbon, glass, metal, polyethylene HD,…) applied in composites.
3D Braiding for high-end composite applications
For the sake of weight reduction and high performance, fibre-reinforced composite materials are developed and widely applied in industries (e.g. aerospace, transportation and marine) as a supplement / replacement of metallic alloys.
Conventional laminated composite materials have accounted for major appliance in structural design due to the traits in specific stiffness, strength and fatigue performance. However, the fibrous discontinuity through thickness orientation reduces damage tolerance, which partially restrict its industrial appliance for some specific purposes. This stimulates the development of three-dimensional (3D) braided composites that can be manufactured economically and productively with well-designed textile procedures.
Due to the fibre distribution in thickness direction, inter-laminar failure (e.g. delamination), is dramatically eliminated. This reinforcement usually contributes to an improvement of damage tolerance and impact resistance.
- Working width: max 500 mm
- Double weft insertion system – Possibility to mount 4 insertion clamps
- Each frame is driven by a separate servo motor to obtain different positions and motion profiles
- Dobby system with shed opening to 300 mm
- 8 frames, extendable to 24
- Equiped with a parallel reed motion
- Yarn feed by either a set of two beams or through a bobbin creel with 500 postions