A test piece is subjected to a succession of mild abrasive rubs applied to a continuously changing pattern of folds created by a rubbing machine. The damage caused to the test piece is assessed visually.
- each test piece is submitted to 2000 rubbing cycles on a machine with two parallel clamps giving counter-reciprocating motions and a foot pressing on the flexing part of the test piece.
- six test pieces, three in the longitudinal direction and three in the transverse direction are submtitted to the test.
- if the fabrics are coated on both sides, 12 test pieces are submitted to the test so as to assess each side.
The type(s) and degree of change are assessed visually:
- holes, cracks
- surface abrasion and its depth
- separation of support and coating, or separation of different layers
- permanent creasing, etc.
The changes are evaluated directly or by comparison with a test piece of reference material.
Rubber or plastic coated fabrics